Re: [sdpd] calibration problems with Silicon+gsas

Hi, All:

This morning i tried further refinement work and eventually i got a R value of 0.0518.
As a conlusion, the critical steps are summarized:
Step 1--origin selection: Thanks to the suggestion from Prof. Gottschalk, i took (1/8,1/8,1/8) origin instead of (0,0,0). It is much improved and it shows the calibration sample has no problem, but current match cannot be better enough. R->0.3578
Step 2--radiation wavelength and pola: Under the suggestion from Prof. Gottschalk, i took the lamda=1.54056 and Pola=0.78989 instead. R->0.2205
Step 3--Release Uiso refinement: after that,R->0.1563
Step 4--Start to refine background parameters. Diffuse scattering was also introduced without refinement(3-type, A=1.0, R=2.352,U=0.005), although it helped not much and neither of ARU can be refined without divergency. R-> 0.0518

The current .exp file, as well as related pictures, can also be downloaded via: http://www.physik.uni-augsburg.de/~lujun/

The current R value of 0.0518 is acceptable in average. Our instrument was not so bad. :)
Nevertheless, whether the device's state was suitable for refinement analysis or not is still unclear, and i still doubt whether the peakshapes produced by the device can be well descriped by type-3 parameters.
i am also doubting whether this rough parameters, as shown below, are somehow reproducible for other materials when all the measurement conditions are the same.
Moreover, the "background" looks quite bad, where the variation of intensities is about 2000, resulting in high chi2 ~ 30! i saw normal background oscillation is about 20-50 and good fitting gives chi2 less than 2.

At present, to fix the remaining problem make our refinement in other materials reliable and reasonable, what we plan to do is:
1. optimize the experimental conditions and redo the measurement for silicon several times;
2. buy a new package of standard silicon powder;
3. ask technique supports from the manufacturer of our instrument.

Thanks for your attention! Specially thank Prof. from GeoForschungsZentrum Potsdam.

We will be engaged to the business of careful instrument calibration in the following weeks.
Further comments will still be quite welcomed!

By the way, Thanks to kind Prof. Le Bail, our calibration raw data has been tried using FullProff tools.
Thoes interested FullProf experts can visit the package via this web page, http://www.physik.uni-augsburg.de/~lujun/Si-fullprof.html. Note: this primary trial is currently without fine structure information(from Prof. Le Bail)

Faithfully
Jun Lu
----------
Lst. Prof. Lijie Qiao
Department of Materials Physics and Chemistry
University of Science and Technology Beijing
100083 Beijing
P.R. China
http://www.instrument.com.cn/ilog/handsomeland/

Lst. Prof. Loidl and Lunkenheimer
Experimental Physics V
Center for Electronic Correlations and Magnetism (EKM)
University of Augsburg
Universitaetsstr. 2
86159 Augsburg
Germany