[sdpd] Re: Re-using software pieces

Lachlan wrote :

>One of the main problems now days seems to be not
>what crystallographers would like to give away - but
>what their laboratory/organisation policies are
>in this regard.

Well, hard to see the role of the IUCr Crystallographic
Computing  Commission in such a context : making
advertisement for commercial software ? Or should the
Commission find some way to encourage creation of
free-for-academic software ?

It is probably too late, however, very conservative people in
many crystallography laboratories have probably kept versions
of legacy software. When I searched for the Struplo latest
version on the Web in 1995, it was only mentioned in one
list of software, but not made available. I guess that nuggets
are somewhere.

Best,

Armel Le Bail - Universite du Maine, Laboratoire des Fluorures,
CNRS ESA 6010, Av. O. Messiaen, 72085 Le Mans Cedex 9, France
http://www.cristal.org/