[sdpd] Re: Re-using software pieces

Lachlan wrote :

>Time will tell then - once it is in an archive, in
>theory, it is in for good.

Let me show you to what the archive may look like.

I called it CSCM (Crystallography Source Code Museum ;-).
                http://www.cristal.org/museum/

None of the legacy code will produce easily an executable on a modern
computer. But this is not the aim of the museum, there is no interest to
make them working again. Nevertheless, the codes may inspire some new
developments, this is a risk to be taken. These codes certainly do contain
reusable pieces. I am just surprised that no such museum was already
created. If you have nuggets in your drawers, send them and let us
see what happens (I mean, as an author, I would be happy to see
my code in a museum, and would certainly not complain).

Best,

Armel