[sdpd] Re: Re-using software pieces

> >One of the main problems now days seems to be not
> >what crystallographers would like to give away - but
> >what their laboratory/organisation policies are
> >in this regard.
>
> Well, hard to see the role of the IUCr Crystallographic
> Computing  Commission in such a context : making
> advertisement for commercial software ? Or should the
> Commission find some way to encourage creation of
> free-for-academic software ?

Freely available software and open source software GLP'd
software can be two different things.

There is still a lot of freely available code and programs
but getting a significant amount of it under some kind
of "GNU Licence" could be non-trivial.

Time will tell then - once it is in an archive, in
theory, it is in for good.

Lachlan.

PS:  A distraction on the subject of archives - I
am looking for an archive based around
"Computer Physics Communications" which is supposedly
based in the "Maths Dept at Queens University in Belfast".
I am told quite an amount of scientific and
crystallographic code was deposited there in the
past.  Finding it again is prooving to be non-trivial.

Any web-pointers/addresses to this appreciated.

--
Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, WA4 4AD U.K
Tel: +44-1925-603703  Fax: +44-1925-603124
E-mail: l.cranswick... @dl.ac.uk  Ext: 3703  Room C14
                           http://www.ccp14.ac.uk