Re: [sdpd] Re: Welcome to sdpd

> One factor to bear in mind is that better data generally helps.

A synchrotron is certainly nice, if you have easy access to one, or can
afford to wait for beamtime.

Otherwise, use a *modern* *focusing* laboratory powder diffractometer.
Seek time on someone else's instrument, if you don't have one in your own
lab.  The difference in data quality from a good modern laboratory
instrument over a routine one from say 10 or 15 years ago is quite
remarkable.  Failing that, a well-aligned Guinier-Hagg camera can also
work wonders.

Being able to index the pattern is quite useful too.  Controlling
systematic errors (as well as having the best available resolution) is
crucial here, considering that 0.02 degrees of zero error (or the
equivalent due to specimen displacement effects) can be too much.

Good luck (is also helpful).

Robin Shirley
University of Surrey, England