Re: [sdpd] Optimal instrument configuration

I'm not primarily concerned with structural solutions, so perhaps there
are other considerations, but with a primary beam monochromator  and a
PSD operating on a goniometer in transmission mode one can get down to
about 2 degrees.  This is still not ideal for clays but it is
considerably better than 5 degrees.  The situation improves further with
a longer wavelength tube such as cobalt in place of copper, which moves
the diffraction lines to higher angles, and may reduce fluorescence
background, depending on the sample.

John Twilley
Conservation Scientist

Kurt Leinenweber wrote:

>> Is this the best configuration and what advantages
>> does the PSD have over a solid state detector (other than speed)?
>

> Sorry to use up bandwidth, but I thought of another problem with the PSD -
> without soller slits, it cannot collect data below about 5 degrees two
> theta, because of scattering from the primary beam.  If you are studying
> clays or zeolites, this could be a limitation.
>
> 				- K. Leinenweber

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/UIYolB/TM