Re: [sdpd] Residual stress measurement by X-ray diffraction

Chuck Blatchley wrote:

>박현민 wrote:
>

>>I am going to get the depth profile of residual stress in ceramic material by nondestructive method such as X-ray diffraction.
>>
>>However I have no idea how to solve the problem. If let me inform an idea, I would be grateful for them.
>>

>You use double scattering spectrometry. The first scattering acts as a
>monochromator. Then, plot the "rocking" curve about the Bragg peak.
>Stress, residual or otherwise, will broaden this peak or cause it to
>sprout partners.
>
>Chuck B.

Depends on the spatial resolution you want - surface versus bulk is
easier than a full depth profile. Do you want micron or millimetre
resolution? Do you want the stress parallel or perpendicular to the
surface, or the full tensor? There are a variety of techniques
available. In the home lab you can use the absorbtion of the x-rays to
be surface sensitive and use different x-ray energies to probe different
depths. Otherwise you can use slits to define a particular diffracting
volume in the sample, and perhaps parallel beam geometry at a
synchrotron. Provided you have access to a suitable instrument, a peak
position gives you the d-spacing of the material, and therefore the
strain (delta_d/d), which may or may not tell you what the residual
stress is, depending on the material. Usually seems to work for stresses
which result in >100 microstrain. You might want to validate your work
with a destructive test....

Hope this helps,

Jon

Yahoo! Groups Links