Re: [sdpd] X-ray tube life

Dear Nadini,

well, this is an interesting question, since I have had a lot of
problems with PanAlytical tubes recently. Since six months or so
PanAlytical recommends to have a stand-by power of 40kV/10mA to prevent
  condensation. A service engineer recommended even never putting the
generator in stand-by mode.
You may have another documentation than I have, but I thought that it
was recommended to turn off the machine if it not used for a couple of
days. The service engineer however, advises never shutting down the
machine, especially when the tubes becomes older.
A suggested lifetime of 2000 hours  is not a lot; when the machine is
not shut down, this is less than 3 months! The garanty is however 4000
hours, or two years, if the tube was operated less than 4000 hours. It
is a pity that they give not a garanty as a function of power; at high
powers the life time is shorter than at lower powers.
So I have no clear answers to your questions; I was never able to have a
PanAlytical tube longer than two years, in contast with the tubes of the
concurrents, which last much longer (but you cannot mount a concurrent's
tube in your X'pert)

best regards, Arie

--
A. van der Lee
Institut Européen des Membranes

Tel :  33 (0) 4 67 14 91 35
Fax : 33 (0) 4 67 14 91 19

Website X-ray scattering facility ICG/IEM:
http://www.iemm.univ-montp2.fr/xrayweb/main_uk.html

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: