Re: [sdpd] GSAS instrument parameter file

Brian Toby's EXPGUI site probably has some tutorials as well - but there are
tutorials on the CPDW workshop website on initial bootstrapping with GSAS and
creation of a GSAS Instrument parameter file via the EXPGUI interface.

Workshop tutorial (starting off easy)
   http://www.cins.ca/cpdw/files/2007/gsas_cpdw_2007_workshop.pdf

example files used in the above tutorial pages:
   http://www.cins.ca/cpdw/files/cpdw.zip

NIST LaB6 standard is a good thing to use - though for also refining
and checking polarisation of the X-ray beam - my preference is for
cubic Y2O3 (annealed for a  few days at 1200 Celsius).  But for a first
start NIST LaB6 would be a safe thing to use.

----------

Various programs can convert X-Y diffraction data into GSAS format -
 i.e., ConvX for Windows : http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/ccp/web-mirrors/convx/
               http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/ccp/web-mirrors/convx/convx.zip

Lachlan

At 01:09 PM 10/5/2007 -0500, you wrote:
>Could someone please give me a bit of instruction on how to collect an
>instrument parameter file for a lab powder XRD instrument that I can use in
>GSAS?  I'm hoping to do some quantitative analysis using Rietveld, as well
>as set up some exercises for my XRD class.
>
>My understanding is that I need to collect a high-quality pattern using a
>standard (LaB6 or Si or ?anything else?).  But what then?  How do I prepare
>it for GSAS.  Can it be simply a 2-theta & counts text file?
>
>I assume I need different instrument parameter files for different
>wavelengths (We use Cu and Co, mainly).
>
>I'm new to GSAS, but I cannot find step-by-step instructions anywhere.
>
>Thanks for your help, and patience with a beginner.
>
>Jim Murowchick
>
>Dr. James B. Murowchick
>Associate Professor, Geology
>Department of Geosciences, 420 Flarsheim Hall
>5110 Rockhill Rd., Kansas City, MO  64110
>816 235-2979     Fax: 816 235-5535
>murowchickj...@umkc.edu

-----------------------
Lachlan M. D. Cranswick
Contact outside working hours /
  Coordonnees en dehors des heures de travail:
NEW E-mail / courriel:  lc *at* bluehaze.com.au
Home Tel: (613) 584-4226 ; Cell/mobile: (613) 401-6254
WWW: http://lachlan.bluehaze.com.au/
        P.O. Box 2057, Deep River, Ontario, Canada, K0J 1P0

(please use clear titles in any Email - otherwise messages might
accidentally get put in the SPAM list due to large amount of junk
Email being received. If you don't get an expected reply to any
messages, please try again.)

(Essayez d'utiliser des titres explicites - sans quoi vos messages
pourraient aboutir dans un dossier de rebuts, du fait de la quantite
tres importante de pourriels recue. Si vous n'obtenez pas la reponse
attendue, merci de bien vouloir renvoyer un message.)

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)